ADVENTURE AND OUTDOORS
The great outdoors is a way of life in Cape Town. There are a multitude of activities on your doorstep.
If you’re an extreme sporting type or a slacker, it’s all there in the Fairest Cape!
At Cape by Design Tours we can suggest any number of activities to keep you busy ….
We are blessed with abundant sunshine and many beautiful beaches. None of our beaches are private, they are for all to enjoy.
- Our best swimming beaches are in False Bay where the water is warmer.
- On the Atlantic side you will find the trendy beaches like Camps Bay and Clifton.
- Cape Point has secluded beaches and tidal pools which are very safe for swimming and secluded from the main tourist route.
- Boating: cruises, charters, tours and high-speed adventure trips.
- Sailing: take a one hour sailing adventure around Table Bay, attend an ocean sailing school or take a sunset cruise to a sheltered bay.
- Surfing: we have some great waves around the Peninsula and some of our surfing spots are world famous. Join up with a surf school and learn to surf at a beach break, perfect for beginners.
- Kite Surfing: Cape Town is one of the best locations in the world for this. Even a beginner can learn this extreme sport and some say it’s easier than surfing!
Diving & Shark cage diving:
- Diving: for the beginner or qualified diver there’s plenty to see, from shipwrecks to colourful fish and reefs. You have two oceans to choose from, the colder Atlantic or the warmer Indian Ocean.
- Shark cage diving: an amazing and safe way to get close to these huge predators of the deep.
- Shark Viewing: personalised eco-tours where you get the chance to witness one of nature’s spectacles, Great White Shark breaching.
- Sea Kayaking: suitable for most ages and fitness levels, an unforgettable way to experience our magnificant coastline.
- Deep Sea or shore-based Fishing: let an expert take you fishing off Cape Point, the Atlantic or False Bay
Cape Town is a hikers paradise. There are 350 hiking trails on the Table Mountain chain, varying from a guided hike up the steep front to something a lot less strenuous like a quiet and shady country trail not far from the City.
- We offer and recommend that you take an experienced guide with you as our mountains can be treacherous to the unitiated.
- Ask about our hiking trails to suit your level of fitness and interest.
Cyclists love Cape Town because of the great cycling routes and beautiful vistas. Imagine cycling down Chapmans Peak with sheer cliffs above and below and the wind whistling through your hair!
Each year in March we host the annual 108 km “Cape Argus” Cycle Tour with 35 000 participants. It is the largest cycle tour in the world! Famous people like to take part to raise money for charity. Last year Lance Armstrong took part and set Cape Town abuzz with his presence!
There are many bike trips on offer:
- Cycle in the townships
- Cycle into the sunset- each a unique Cape Town experience. Ask us about the different tours.
- Cape Point Nature Reserve has fewer hills than most of Cape Town. Cycle an easy 13km route among the wildlife and beautiful fynbos to the Cape of Good Hope.
- Mountain Biking: Go way off road and enjoy a quiet mountain route while taking in splendid scenery and a steep hill or two.
- Bikes and Wine: combine a leisurely cycle ride together with some wine tasting.
- Quad Biking: a fun way to experience the countryside.
- Cape Town is a golfers dream, with many wonderful, scenic courses to choose from.
- We have over 30 golf courses in the Cape Town and Winelands region.
- There are golf courses and driving ranges for all levels and needs.
- Experience a horse riding adventure along an endless beach or a mountain path.
- See the BIG 5 on horseback.
- Riding and Wine Tasting-a fantastic Winelands experience.
Cape Sidecar adventures:
- Take your breath away in a Vintage World War 2 sidecar and enjoy sightseeing very differently.
Up in the Air:
- Tandem paragliding: experience the feeling of absolute freedom as you soar above the Peninsula on a cloudless day.
- Sky Diving: take a tandem sky dive and see Table Mountain and the many other famous sights from a completely different perspective.
- Helicopter flights: there’s no more thrilling and fast way to see the stupendous mountain and sea scenery of Cape Town, from 15 minutes to however long you can afford.
Tours should never be a matter of choosing off a list - they should be created to suit the desires of the tourist.