THE FAMILY FRIENDLY CAPE
Cape Town is a top place for a family holiday. It’s child friendly for kids of all ages.
- Lots of open space for running around
- Sunny weather (much of the time)
- Choicest beaches to choose from
- Exciting adventures and activities
- Lesser 5 - like Baboon, Ostrich, Penguin, Bontebok and Zebra in our National Parks
- Big - 5 not far away
Cape by Design Tours offers several suggestions for family outings:
- Take a bucket and spade and head for the beach.
- Swim with the Penguins at Boulders Beach.
- Wander through enclosures of Africa’s biggest Bird Park.
- Visit our gorgeous Two Oceans Aquarium and see beautiful and odd sea creatures.
- Get to a wildlife place like the Lion Park, Cheetah Outreach or Raptor Conservation Project.
- Take a Waterfront boat ride and see Seals on Wheels
For the Older Ones:
- Go shark cage diving..scary but safe!
- Go Horse Riding on a 3- mile Beach
- Quad bike through the Vineyards
- Savour panoramic views on the Waterfront’s Big Wheel.
- Ride the Wave - join a Surf School for a day.
- Get the Ride of your Life at Ratanga Junction
THE WINELANDS IS ALSO GREAT FOR FAMILIES
Including the towns of Stellenbosch, Franschhoek and Paarl
- Our landscapes are breathtaking. We have panoramic views of majestic mountains, historic towns and homesteads, lush green countryside, farms and much more.
- Some of our oldest towns have interesting history, informative museums and great architecture
Nelson Mandela – World Famous Icon:
- Nelson Mandela ended his Long Walk to Freedom after 27 years in prison, in the Winelands, more than 20 years ago.
It marked the turning point in our history, which ended the dark days of apartheid.
It began a new era of democracy and reconciliation in South Africa.
- Be photographed by his life-sized statue in front of the prison, the exact spot where he walked out as a free man at 3pm on 11 February 1990.
The mountains, farms and rivers of the Winelands offer fantastic activities.
An exhilirating and different way to experience the Winelands:
- Quad biking, a fun thing for the whole family.
- River rafting, a non white water experience.
- Mountain biking in a nature reserve or on a farm.
- Hiking nature trails for any level of fitness.
- Horse Riding on a farm or in the fynbos.
- Golf, a big choice of stunning golf courses.
The next best thing to a safari, near to Cape Town;
Meet some of Africa’s magnificent creatures.
- Lion Park with magnificent specimens of Africa’s great cat.
- Cheetah Outreach brings awareness of this endangered animal.
- Raptor Rehabilitation Centre.
- Monkey Town, mingle freely with some close relatives.
- Game Park with a variety of plains game.
- Giraffe Park, wildlife awareness centre.
- Crocodile Park, home to a thousand crocs!
FOODIE STUFF IN THE WINELANDS
Adults do Wine tasting - kids have fun
Chocolate Experience at our Finest Chocolate Factory :
- Get the full story of how chocolate is made and get to lick, taste and take some home!
Berry Picking: One for the basket, Two for the Mouth!
- Pick as you eat Strawberries, the season starts in November.
- Hanepoot Grapes from Constantia are a unique Cape flavour. They are our sweetest grapes with a hint of smoky flavour. Available in season at a roadside stall or from the farm.
Cheese Tasting and Making:
Our Dairy Farmers make some wonderful Jersey and Goatsmilk cheeses:
- Taste delicious and unusual cheeses like Green Fig Brie or Wild Mushroom Brie or Cream Cheese with Chakalaka
- There’s a short Home Course in Cheese Making for those who would like to learn this age-old skill.
A Course in Bread making:
- Another fun thing to do as you spend the whole day kneading, twisting and shaping different breads.
Olive Growing and Tasting:
The vineyard and the olive grove stand happily side by side in our Cape Mediterranean Climate. While the ADULTS taste Wine, try some of our unque South African style olives.
- Our Extra Virgin Cold Pressed Oils have already won international awards.
- Try our leccino, frantoio, mission and blends.
- Fresh olive types are Calamata, Mission and Green with great, added flavours like rosemany, garlic and smoked.
KRUGER FOR KIDS - 3, 4 or 5 DAY FAMILY SAFARI
1. Classic Kruger Tour - The Affordable Option
Travelling with a family can be expensive.
Stay inside Kruger Camps and have an affordable Safari Holiday.
We organise these trips with an eye on your budget, yet make sure you get to see the wonders of the Bush, with the Big 5 and much much more.
Stay inside Kruger Camps with their great facilities and have immediate access into the game areas.
- Drive from Johannesburg to Kruger (c. 4 hours)
- Fly to Kruger International Airport (c. 1/2 an hour)
- Overnight at Berg en Dal Camp (or similar)
- Overnight at Satara Camp (or similar)
- Bed and Safari Breakfast
- Early Morning Game Drive
- Afternoon Game Drive
- Knowledgeable Driver/Guide to accompany you all the way.
2. The Luxury Kruger Tour
Stay near Kruger in one of our Private Luxury Lodges
Dinner, Bed and Breakfast
Morning and Evening Game Drives
3. Simply the Best Kruger Tour
A combination of the Classic and Luxury Tour
Tours are arranged according to your needs, tell us how long and where you want to stay and we’ll send you a quote.